Every time I read an article about Iceland I think “how wonderful that they keep doing this”. Truly:
- The Pirate Party is taking the lead in national politics. After the banking crisis they elected a comedian as Prime Minister.
- When told they had to take out disastrous loans in the banking crisis they more or less said “nope” and walked away. All the articles at the time said Iceland would never recover and they should have taken the Irish approach and mortgaged their future. Turns out Iceland is doing just fine, thanks.
- “Switzerland of Bits” is a great idea. Be the haven for free Internet traffic.
- Huge culture of healthy living which is tough given I don’t recall seeing a lot of vegetable farms out there.
I looked into moving to Iceland at one point but somehow couldn’t get the family over the whole “it’s dark all winter” thing. Maybe I can get some sort of deal where I live there for 6 months at a time and then Italy during the winter. Who knows. If some tech company there needs an experienced leader who speaks great English (zero Icelandic) who can commute from Italy/Spain/Portugal in the winter let me know.
We stayed at Hotel “Room with a View” on our tour of Reykjavik. Clean, tidy,a and worked well for our family. The room has a view of the mountains across the sound. The staff was friendly (everyone in Iceland is it seems) and helpful in booking tours. It wasn’t very expensive either so it felt like a real deal after spending so long in Paris.Highly recommended spot. It has a hot tub on the roof. We didn’t get to use this but in summer this must be glorious.
Lunch in Iceland. They do langoustines here in a big way. Dinner the other night was a plate full.
Susan and I went running this morning. It was a glorious morning, cool but not too cold. The wind was blowing in off the mountains in the distance. Some things we know about Iceland now but we didn’t before:
- The people are super-friendly. Everyone is helpful and smiling.
- They count floor-levels as in the US, not as in France. In other words it’s not ground floor, floor 1, floor 2. It’s simply floor 1, 2, 3. Kind of weird after all these years really.
- Best restaurant I think we’ve eaten at, Fish Market (Fiskmarkadurinn). Super, super meal in a warm cozy space, great service.