Brain Pickings turned 10 years old, congratulations to a site that has brought me so much wonderful, interesting, educational content over the years.
https://www.brainpickings.org/2016/10/23/10-years-of-brain-pickings/ This article is a list of 10 learnings over the years. I encourage you to read this but just in case here is the simplified version (along with my take):
- Allow yourself the uncomfortable luxury of changing your mind. (hold strong to your beliefs until the data changes – it’s okay)
- Do nothing for prestige or status or money or approval alone. (Money and status are nice, but do you believe in what you are doing)
- Be generous (I listened to a great podcast in which a very successful agent always asks the question “how can I be of service”? I’ve started doing that and it’s a lot nicer than always driving)
- Build pockets of stillness into your life; sleep (turn off your phone)
- When people tell you who they are, believe them (believe in people until you have a reason not to)
- Presence is more rewarding than productivity (one of the items that didn’t resonate as much with me)
- Expect anything worthwhile to take a long time (I struggle with this, I get bored easily and early)
- Seek out what magnifies your spirit (I heard something similar “you are the average of the five people you hang out with”)
- Don’t be afraid to be an idealist (why compromise early? It’s like negotiating against yourself)
- Don’t just resist cynicism – fight it (hard in this modern world, but remember that the world is a better place than it was and it’s getting better for most people)
Thanks again to Brain Pickings for these ten years.