New Year’s Eve Page 2 : Solving the playoff mysteryHm… this article got me thinking… what have I done for New Year’s Eve for the past 20 years or so? I can remember some but most are absolutely blank. Others I can recall but I struggle to put a year on them. Forthwith:

  • 2006: Ian & Aurora’s cabin. Great party, loads of champagne, outdoor fireplace, singing
  • 1999: we attended a party thrown by our friends the Schellings at the Washington Athletic Club. We shared a hotel room with Kim & Scott. We had fun but let’s face it, nothing could hold up to the turn of the millenium.
  • 1996: multiple parties but I recall being at Amy & Eric’s place in Ballard for midnight. Susan was pregnant with Liam. We both came down with a nasty flu and spent the next few days with raging fevers. I remember calling Julie the next morning (she was still living on Phinney Ridge) and begging her to bring soup, saltines, and orange juice. Since Susan was pregnant she couldn’t even take Tylenol.
  • 1989: Madrid. Ian and I were traveling around Europe at the time and wound up in Madrid. We spent the evening frolicking in the town square with everyone else. We drank champagne with strangers we couldn’t understand and at one point got involved in the largest chicken-fight (person sits on your shoulders and you bump into people) ever.

For a bunch of years I can recall some piece but assign no year:

  • Two years we have spent at Tim & Michelle’s house.
  • One year Ian had a party and we spent the night there with the kids. The night was odd in that I recall being very melancholy at some point and sat in a room with Liam and Kellen singing them to sleep. The other memorable part was when Susan and someone else (?) decided to get dancing going at the party. They put on a bunch of ABBA and people livened up; Ian was clearly out of sorts with having ABBA defile his sound system and quickly shut it down (all this is funny, not mean. must have been 3 am by the time this happened).
  • Long, long time ago now (1992?) we attended a formal party downtown. I quit my job at the bar in Sea Tac so I could attend this party. Wound up just okay, Guido and I ran out of cash for the cab on the way home so we wound up walking the final five miles in our tuxes.

And that’s about it. I’m sure with some digging I could figure out more. I’m sure I had a wonderful time most of these years.Updated: just remembered another one, 1989