One thing is for sure… I need to lose weight. Losing weight would help me ski better. It would improve my running speed. It would allow me to climb better on the bike. Oh yeah, it would also make me a healthier person.My first New Year’s Resolution then is to lose weight. This morning I am 212.5 pounds. By the end of the year I want to hit 190. I haven’t seen 190 pounds for a very long time. Losing 22.5 pounds at this stage in my life will not be easy. I have added an extra pounds every year or so since high school. That’s sad given that I have run a few marathons and did Ironman in that time too.Specific mini-goals in order to lose weight:
- Have a weigh-in chart in the bathroom. This reminds me to step on the scale daily.
- Limit or reduce alcohol consumption during the week. I will give myself a grace period on the weekends but I pour too many empty calories into my body.
- Reduce the amount of time I spend online. When I am not online I move around the house, I fiddle with things, I play with the kids. That keeps me happy and burning more calories than I otherwise would. It is amazing how, outside of my daily workouts, sedentary I am.
- Two hours of exercise per day, five days per week. I may wind up doing more than that with especially active weekends, but 10 hours each week is a solid goal. Depending on the exercise that burns 8000-10000 calories which would cause my weight to drop if I just kept the calories coming in in check.
- By January 10th I will have a training schedule together which includes one marathon and one ridiculous, you-must-be-kidding me event.
That’s it for now, but I will post from time to time on this subject and report my progress. For now I am off to the gym.